tiistai 22. toukokuuta 2012

Poles Apart - Benevolence demo 1997

Poles Apart - Benevolence demo 1997
1) Intro: Obscure Fog
2) Poles Apart
3) Benevolence
4) Bloodred Skies
5) Outro: Travelling With The Stars

Depositfiles

Today I'm posting another item sent to me by Sascha, the 1997 demo and also only official release of his Poles Apart project. On this instrumental demo he performs melodic dark metal with some avant-gardish touches, very much like early Arcturus or mid-phase Emperor or the like. In the years following the demo the project evolved towards ambient and there are a bunch of unreleased tracks recorded which he sent me as well. But we'll get to them another time. This rip of the demo is not his, he got this from some German fellow who unfortunately went for the lowly bit rate of 128 kbps. He had also ripped the whole demo as one track but I decided to go ahead and split it into separate tracks, still at 128. I hope I got them split right. Another unfortunate thing is the lack of a cover scan as Sascha wasn't sent one nor did he find a cover so we'll make do with the M.A.image (which is obviously recycled from eBay where someone probably asked a ridiculous amount of money for this).

Even though the bitrate of the rip is pretty low, the rip sounds good - it was actually so loud I had to tone it down a little bit. The demo itself has a good and clear sound as well, being instrumental and mostly performed on keyboards and related instruments it might sound a little artificial here and there but I find my ear adjusting fast. As mentioned earlier, this is somewhat black metal based material except for the title track which borrows more from various dark rock sort of bands (and post debut album Katatonia) and brings foremost to my mind Arcturus circa MCD/debut and similar Norwegian atmospherics. And actually mid-period Nomicon a little. Very little. Anyways, it's an interesting listen and seems to grow on me so I assume you should give it a try too.

Ei kommentteja: