maanantai 30. heinäkuuta 2012

Nephilim - Demo 1994


Nephilim (usa) - Demo I 1994
1) Under the Dead Moon
2) Black Earth
3) Vile Ecstasy

UPDATED WITH SCANS:
Depositfiles / 4shared

Here's some black metal from the States again and another item courtesy of brother Vaalkoth, I don't think this has been released either on their new blog nor raf's. Anyways, if you remember this post, you know I was looking for this and am thus very grateful to Vaalkoth, I owe you for yet another one! Unfortunately, as he doesn't have access to a scanner I've only the M.A. image and this snapshot he took of the covers - I'd really like a full cover scan if someone can provide one!


UPDATE: Brother Fenrirsson, my go-to guy when it comes to cover scans and obscure material, has provided me with scans of both the demo cover and an old flyer - the Depositfiles and 4shared links include the updated folder! Interestingly, the cover he had was different from the M.A. image and Vaalkoth's pic and says 1995 on it so I assume it is a second pressing/edition/whatever you call it of the demo, like the Enkil demo had two different versions as well. The image on top now has a crop of his scan, see below for Vaalkoth's pic and above this paragraph the M.A. one.


But enough about that, time to move to the music. This demo is a little bit more straight Nordic-influenced both in sound and music than the "Black Earth" recording, leading to the inevitable Darkthrone et al. comparisons. However, I enjoy it - there's something distinct enough in their rehearsal-like sound that I can identify them easily as the same band. Notably the vocals sound more brutal and raw on this recording. In general every instrument is audible and can't say anything would really drown out. Nothing fancy or really that original either here but if you enjoy basic, raw and in-your-face black metal you'll want to try this demo out. There is one more recording left which neither Vaalkoth nor me are certain of, I suppose I'll just post it soon and ask if anyone knows more.


10 kommenttia:

F kirjoitti...

I'll try and scan the cover in a few days time.

- Fenrirsson

Velkaarn kirjoitti...

@Fenrirsson:

Excellent! Much appreciated if you can do that.

heinz88 kirjoitti...

I was looking through this demo for a long time and I had it stolen again thanks

Velkaarn kirjoitti...

@heinz88:

Glad to be of assistance! Stay tuned, I'll post the other tape Vaalkoth sent me soon.

Anonyymi kirjoitti...

After Enkil broke up, Nephilim re-formed for a short period of time in 1997/8. They were supposed to have recorded an album but that never happened.

Velkaarn kirjoitti...

That's interesting, I would've liked to hear the material they intended for the album - I suppose they had made some new tracks and possibly rehearsed old ones.

Anonyymi kirjoitti...

There was actually one recorded for a compilation tape by Undead Productions, which was the label of Enkil/Nephilim member. Not sure if those were intended for a future release or not, however.

Velkaarn kirjoitti...

Hmm, I better check if I can track down that compilation then. Do you remember what its name was?

Anonyymi kirjoitti...

Actually it was just called "Undead Productions" and was a compilation tape of a number of bands like Nephilim, Enkil, Darkness Enshroud, Sorath, etc.

Velkaarn kirjoitti...

Yeah, now I remember. I see it's listed on Discogs database and the Nephilim track is "Fire Beyond The Black Haze". Looks like an interesting tape, though the last track is obviously for filler.