keskiviikko 1. elokuuta 2012

Rotko - Lusifer-Lusifer demo 1996


Rotko - Lusifer-Lusifer demo I 1996
1) Horns of Mine
2) Lusifer
3) Lord of South and Fire

Depositfiles / Mediafire

Back to Finland and obscure black metal, here is demo I of mysterious Rotko of which I only got info from my trader, besides the title, year, 1st demo status & tracklisting - quite a bit actually, that it was a "Barathrum project". Which obviously means Demonos Sova's project and as you may see from the tracklisting, two out of three tracks are familiar from Barathrum albums: "Lusifer" was redone as a faster version and with English lyrics on "Venomous" and "Lord of South and Fire" appeared already on the 1995 debut album "Hailstorm". Not sure if the first one has been renamed and -used later. I've absolutely no idea if a cover existed for this release, knowing Sova I'd be surprised if there wasn't one but I haven't had any luck finding one - or much info on this either! I was wondering if this might've been sort of same for Barathrum as The Lord Diabolus was for Beherit? Though I don't recall Sova having issues with Opyros & N.E.P. - anyone got actual information? Due the lack of cover art, or a good pic of Sova from 95/96 I decided to decorate the post with the old Barathrum seal - you could interpret Rotko as translation of Barathrum to Finnish, even though a common, literal translation of 'rotko' to English is 'ravine'.

So is this very different from Barathrum? Well, not really, it most resembles demo era sound mixed with the first three albums. Sound is quite rough demo level and he's using drum machine. Very prominent bass, slower doomy tempos and ritual atmosphere. Some (semi-)clean vocals are used besides the black metal barks and roars. Crude, ritualistic, primitive, fascinating, barbaric, occult, charming and jetblack are some of the adjectives that come to mind while listening to this tape. Absolutely fascinating and I really like the slower, Finnish version of "Lusifer" (which would again appear in slightly different form on the second demo which I'll post later). Recommended, especially if you're into older Barathrum.

PS: Forgot to write that I'd be interested in Sova's other projects Kirous and Fall so let me know if you have those recordings. I think Kirous did 2-3 tapes and no idea about Fall. And thanks but I already have Demonos Jetblack material.

2 kommenttia:

psrcrps kirjoitti...

Arghhhhh, never heard this one before!! I could provide Kirous' demo by Sova from '91 if you/someone else would be interested.. First I have to get a decent cassette player though :-P

Velkaarn kirjoitti...

@psrcrps:

Thanks for your comment and yeah, at least I'm interested! I think he made 2 or 3 Kirous tapes and stupid brat that I was I didn't ask him to dub 'em when I had the chance. But you can send me a mail to the address on the sidebar and let's see if we can work something out.