maanantai 23. syyskuuta 2013

Shadows Of Sunset - Fires of the Soon Dead Sun demo 1996


Shadows of  Sunset - Fires of the Soon Dead Sun demo 1996
1) Images of the Darkest Nature's Wrath
2) Until the Fires of Dawn
3) Beyond Emptiness
4) Craving of Pleasure

Rusfolder /Yandex

Bio sheet circa MCD (1997)
A Finnish demo today and another contribution sent in by brother Grindfreak, thank you! Shadows of Sunset was a Finnish death metal band, originally formed under the name of Imposed Silence in 1993 and released a demo called "Torn Angels of Divine" (pretty cool title) in 1995 before changing the band's name to this one. They released this demo and a MCD "Reflection from Afar" plus possibly another demo "Mirror of Bestiality" in 2000. After changing their style to a heavier, more brutal style of death metal the band name changed to Torn. This last incarnation released an album in 2002 and a demo in 2004. Grindfreak's rip includes cover scan so we're all set, are we not? - No we're not, I found a bio sheet which I decided to scan. Not going to reupload to add that, so click the image.

Okay, to the music. I'm not going to compare this to Imposed Silence demo as I don't remember how it sounded like. But I'm going to get that one from brother Grev so we'll return to it another time. The sound is quite good and so is the rip quality, decent studio demo production with quite a heavy and audible bass and more than enough clarity to hear all the instruments. At places you can hear some sort of hissing or piercing, whiny background noise but fortunately that's either a passing phenomenon or drowns out so effectively that my half-deaf ears fail to note it for most of the time... no, it's there constantly, I noticed it now. Well, it's not really bad, but please note that if it manages to drive you insane or cause other issues the Coven is in no way responsible for your condition. The style is melodic death metal, you know the sort, with quite a lot of speed, some atmospheric breaks and vocals more reminiscent of black metal than death grunts. The vocalist is better than I remembered, giving slight variation to his output while thankfully avoiding embarassing "clean" singing and/or spoken parts. I guess calling it blackened death metal wouldn't be utterly out of question except that the themes don't cross over to actual black metal so let's stick with death metal. I actually like the overall sound here better than the MCD which isn't bad either. From the Torn era I've only heard the demo and that's really completely different thing, not to mention the vocalist is different. But I suggest you give this a listen if you enjoy or at least tolerate melodic (very slightly blackened) 90's death metal.

7 kommenttia:

GREV kirjoitti...

By the way.. I'm just dubbing Imposed Silence demotape for you... It's sounds very nasty for me. There's no mercy at all? ;)

GREV kirjoitti...

...ofcourse I forget to thank you Brother for this dub. I have it already in original format, but now I don't need to rip it :)

Velkaarn kirjoitti...

@Grev:

That's excellent news, I'm curious to hear it now after listening to these Shadows of Sunset recordings again. It is raw stuff or has a poor sound? I've heard it but it's been so long I don't really remember anything about it!

GREV kirjoitti...

@Velkaarn. I'll complete trades asap and you'll get some treasures from the past. I would say that SoS material is more "blackened" and less thrashier than IS. Sounds of "TAoD" demo is good (Rec. at Studio VSMOL in Turku), but there's still something roughness of that tape more than SoS material... you'll better judge it yourself ;)

Velkaarn kirjoitti...

@Grev:

All right, I think I know what you mean. And thanks in advance again!

kingpossum kirjoitti...

Having recently seen Black Sabbath here, the doominess of this Shadows of Sunset thing is sitting quite nicely.

The riffing and tempo shifts are classic, and the guitarist has a lovely dark tone happening. Mr. Iommi would be proud.

Many thanks Mssers GREV and Velkaarn for the post.

Velkaarn kirjoitti...

@kingpossum:

Glad you liked it! You might want to check out their MCD too and the Torn Mikseri page has the 2004 demo in full. I might consider uploading it here too. Though I prefer SOS.