sunnuntai 27. lokakuuta 2013

Congestion - Promo/demo I 1992


Congestion - Promo/demo I 27.7.1992
1) Object of Palaentology
2) Unblessed
3) Dethroned Emperor (Celtic Frost cover)

Mediafire / RGhost

Almost a year ago I posted here the 1996 demo of Let Me Dream and in the comments section we had a little discussion about the pre-LMD Congestion. So here is finally a follow up to that chat and their first recording, a three song promo/demo which had no proper cover as long as brother Grev, who sent this to me, knows and he should seeing that he's been familiar with the band since the early days. Thanks as usual to Grev for sending me this and his German (was it?) trading comrade for the rip we feature here! I don't know if they already used the logo at that time seen on the placeholder cover but that's all I had to work with.

Like the discussion, and the cover choice, hinted the early Congestion was still death metal, influenced by Celtic Frost and with death/doom touches. Especially on the second track the groove is very much present. There's a considerable synth presence which I honestly would think work better if cut down a bit to be just a spicing. Vocals are recited deathly barks and rasps with some deeper support grunts, fortunately none of the awkward clean singing is present. Sound is quite good though it's clear to anyone that this is an amateur rehearsal place recording and not a "pro studio demo". The musicianship and playing in general isn't very tight either but it's kind of charming and expected of a young band's first demo. Whatever little flaws and mars it may have, I still prefer it to the LMD's gothic material.

4 kommenttia:

kingpossum kirjoitti...

I like what's going on here. It's weird, and weird is usually good in my book. Odd drumming happening in the second track sometimes, which is fine too.

I'm as intrigued by the band logo as much as the music...vaguely Persian or some sort of Eastern influence to my eye. Curious.

Very interesting post all the way around, thank you Velkaarn.

Velkaarn kirjoitti...

@kingpossum:

Well, as we predicted, you liked this better than the Let Me Dream stuff but that's given! I'll post another early demo next and probably ask Grev for a studio rehearsal and live tape he had from these older days.

I agree, their logo is interesting and quite original. Though they probably didn't have it yet around the time of this demo.

kingpossum kirjoitti...

Oh yes, thank you Grev for the Congestion submission.

GREV kirjoitti...

@Kingpossum: You're welcome!